Thursday, February 6, 2014

Quiet Forest Hike

It was a very quiet and cold day in the forest at Calaveras Big Trees.  Ravens were out; no songbirds.  A big black stump fooled me into thinking it was bear, but no other wildlife.  (Except those two legged hooligans on the school field trip!).

Sunny and warm in Jamestown translated into sunny and 42 degrees at 6000 when I arrived.  I didn't dress warmly and it didn't warm up;  thank goodness (read Sister) for several hand warmers in the back of the Rav.

To avoid the hooligans I walked up the Grove Overlook trail and then out to the Scenic Overlook on the South Grove road.  It was a great hike, don't know why I didn't think of adding that leg before.  It's just enough of a climb on that mile out to transform the Big Trees walk into a good hike!


Crunching the hoar frost under my boots reminded me of so many mornings out on the trail at Early Intake.


Breaking out into the sun at the overlook I was finally warming up.


The deciduous tress are all still bare;  only tiny buds on the dogwoods;  one impatient manzanita was blooming.


And it's snowing today at Calaveras Big Trees; glad I went out yesterday!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy!