Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Emerald Pools (Zion)

This is my fourth (?) visit to Zion,  but the first time I've hiked up the Emerald Pools trail.  It's a nice walk along the opposite side of the river and then climbs up the canyon for a mile and a half or so.


More Big Tooth Maples!


The Lower Pool sits at the base of a waterfall from the Middle Pool.


Just past the lower pool the trail splits; stay to the right to the Grotto or go left up some steep steps to the middle pool.  


This series of pools is very popular; it's good to keep a sense of humor.


Big Tooth Maples continue to steal the show.


The upper pool sits at the bottom of a very high cliff;  it's kind of a bowl and not the kind of thing my camera can capture!  This is a long shot to the top where the tree is evidently growing along the stream that feeds the pools.


Back down the trail to the Grotto, I'm sorry to say I offended a family visiting from Europe.  No need to go into my whole side of the story, but I bet they have been telling about the mean old woman they met on the trail in Zion!


One last look up the canyon,  wishing I had planned a couple more days.


The view from my camp was really pretty nice;  very late sunset on Watchman.



















1 comment:

  1. Very beautiful. Bet they were doing something along the trail that they were not supposed to be doing. It's hard to imagine you offending anyone.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy!