Monday, October 28, 2013

Albuquerque Botanic Gardens

Those pretty snow flakes in the forecast for Santa Fe found me stopping for an overnight in Albuquerque before heading farther south;  and leaving plenty of time for a morning visit to the Botanic Gardens.  They are in downtown Albuquerque on Old Route 66 along the Rio Grande River.  It was crispy, with blue bird sky and lots of sunshine.

The Aquarium,  a restaurant,  snack bar, gift shop and the Botanic Gardens open off a central courtyard.


A friendly docent greeted me at the entry to the Botanic Garden.


While a dragon guarded the Children's Fantasy Garden.


Workers were setting up displays for Christmas light,  that's why there is a wooden palm tree near the tent covered stage.


Several pair of wood ducks live in the pond.


It was definitely fall in the gardens.


It was such a beautiful day, I didn't go into the Conservatory.


My favorite part,  the Japanese Garden.


A path circles around a central pond offering photo op after photo op.  :)


The garden was clearly planned to incorporate the native Cottonwood trees.


Including the dead wood!


Stepping stones cross the many water features that flow into the pond.


I can't imagine how I could miss a spider this big, but an employee had to point it out.  


More stepping stones.


Curvy bench creates an inviting spot to relax.


And a last peak at the waterfall......


If you ever get a chance to visit this garden,  do it!  I only skimmed the surface; and did I mention there is a walking trail along the Rio Grande River?!?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy!