Saturday, July 21, 2012

Bryce - Part 2

From one vista point a trail ride was visible across the canyon.  It's a long shot from here, but sure looks like fun.  Another item to add to my ever growing list!


The trees along the rim of the canyon and hanging on to the steep sides are endlessly fascinating to me.  They can be found as iconic shots of Bryce on postcards, calendars, t-shirts, etc, etc.  I spent way too much time trying to capture similar images,  but mine just don't convey their brave spirits. 


Here's another one holding on off Paria Point.


Inspiration Point offered another good hike.  We stopped first at the Lower Vista Point.


Then climbed the steep trail on to the Upper Point.


The crowds finally caught up with us at Bryce Point, but that didn't stop us from soaking in the amazing views of the Bryce Amphitheatre.  No pics of the whole thing,  just try to imagine a view from where we stood back all the way to Sunrise Point. I'm guessing it's 5 or so miles.  The Rim Trail follows the edge of the canyon from this here back to the Visitor Center.  (Note to self:  Park at VC, ride the Shuttle out to Bryce Point, and hike back!). Off in the very far distance is the little farm town of Tropic.  It's about 20 miles away and we traveled through it each evening to return to our cabin at Kodachrome.


This is a great vantage point to see the 'caps' that protect the hoodoos from the elements.


The 'grottos' under the edges of the canyon.  


And the Under the Rim Trail that provides access into the very most remote areas of Bryce Canyon.


Happy serendipity had the Mountain Mahogany was setting seeds the days we were in the Park. I have loved this little tree since the first time I saw it's seeds in Cherry Valley.


When I'm traveling, hiking and even walking, I take pics of the signs along the way.  They help me identify the areas later.  Sometimes I still get things mixed up!  My apologies to Bryce Canyon if I did that today!

Next up....our stay at Kodachrome State Park.














2 comments:

  1. Wow, loved all the pictures. I agree the trees are really neat and so are the grottos. Great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo beautiful. A Southwest trip is instore for me!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy!