Saturday, July 16, 2011

Ruby Mountains - Road's End

Road's End is the trail head parking and day use area at the beginning of the the Lamoille Canyon. The mountains surrounding the bowl at Road's End are just teasers for the rest of the range. The trail through Liberty Pass heads off into the Wilderness area for 35 miles passing under Liberty Peak at almost 12,000 feet. For a day hike though there are several options that include four lakes in a loop.

Without looking at the map I assumed Liberty Pass was in the middle of the pic below, but taking a closer look I think it actually turns off to the right and then goes behind these mountains.


My friend Patti who is camp hosting at Thomas Canyon had warned me that reports were the hiker's trail was snowed in, but the horse trail was relatively clear. The hiking trail follows Lamoille Creek on the north slope while the horse trail is on the more exposed southern slope. (Also a more gradual climb :).



In the parking lot I had seen a young couple with snow boards and was hoping to see them again on the mountains. But as it turned out, they had all ready hiked up the canyon AND snowboarded back down! If you look closely at the pic you can see their tracks.

The trail was very rocky and almost always full of water creating a very challenging hike, more like climbing stairs. I crossed several small snow drifts across the trail, but I could see it was probably going to stop me soon.

The beginning elevation at Road's End is 8800 and I hiked an hour and a half to this point where I finally had to call it quits for this trip. Next time I will do a loop up the horse trail to Lamoille Lake, then on to Liberty Lake before to turning back to pass the two Dollar Lakes on my way back down the hiking trail.

I knew the snow would stop me before the lakes, so no disappointments, and with these gorgeous views all the way back down.




4 comments:

  1. The snow seems to be taking a long time to clear everywhere this year. I looked up when I went to Lamoille Lake in 2007 and it was June 19. I had to hike through a lot of snow, but made it.
    http://randyanddiana.blogspot.com/2007/06/lamoille-lake.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living in San Antonio and traveling now in Florida, it is hard to believe that places are still snowed in when it is mid July. Sure is pretty though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah the snow is holding on late this year. I just came past Saddle Bag Lake area, so much snow there!

    Diana - thanks for the link to your blog post, I was planning to search for it!

    Colleen - if it gets too hot in FL just come back to my snowy pics! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah the snow is holding on late this year. I just came past Saddle Bag Lake area, so much snow there!

    Diana - thanks for the link to your blog post, I was planning to search for it!

    Colleen - if it gets too hot in FL just come back to my snowy pics! : )

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy!