Monday, May 30, 2011

Martin Dies, Jr, State Park

On my LA trip I stayed at two different state parks near Jasper, TX (on Highway 190) for a total of five nights.  My first night out was at Lake Livingston State Recreation Area.  Coming home I stayed one night at Martin Die’s Jr. State Park before heading west another hour and three nights at Lake Livingston again.

It was a Monday night in late April, kind of overcast, and the Martin Dies campgrounds were empty.  I choose a site north of the road and was the only camp on my loop.  It was actually a little spooky.  I almost left, but was so glad I didn’t when two Palliated Wood Peckers stopped on a pine tree directly out my window.  These were the first of several I got to see that evening.

IMG_3796

My other neighbors were Cotton Tails.  These guys are BIG; at least double or triple the size of our local little Cotton Tails in CA foothills.

IMG_3808

I missed the dogwood bloom this trip,  but the magnolia were amazing. They are as tall as the pines with many blooms in the very tip tops of the trees! (not this one)

IMG_3813

Martin Dies has miles and miles of trails.  They are in heavy vegetation and looked to be a bit overgrown.  I’d like to explore them sometime with a hiking partner along; next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy!