Thursday, February 10, 2011

Home Snaps

Waiting in Austin for the weather to break in Dallas there were seven AA planes in my line of vision on Wednesday morning.  After a de icing process we got into the air at 930 and had a smooth ride above the storm into Dallas.

IMG_2328

It was still really cold in Dallas,  in the middle teens, and high winds were blowing snow around the airport.

IMG_2331

Sister and Auntie were waiting for me at Sacramento.  We didn’t get home until after dark which was cool because this morning I found a really big surprise waiting for me!

IMG_2335

The China Lilies are blooming big time thanks to so much rain last fall.

IMG_2345

After a grocery run I headed out to walk the perimeter fence.  Here’s a hazy shot of the snow in the mountains from the lava cap.

IMG_2349

I was looking for the first wildflower, and found two!  The first was a light sprinkling of Gold Fields.  It won’t be long before these tiny flowers cover in the hills in a yellow carpet.

IMG_2358

The second, on the southern exposure, were tiny white Johnny Jump-ups (or Shooting Stars) starting to bloom.

IMG_2366

The steers were moved in the week I left for Texas, so they don’t know me and were very curious about what I was doing in their territory.

IMG_2369

No blooms yet on the Buckeye but the white bark was sparkling in the sunshine.

IMG_2371

It’s hard to imagine after so much rain this winter that there is actually dust on the lava cap.  We really need the rain that is forecast for next week,  but I’m happy I got to go for a welcome home walk today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy!