Tuesday, October 5, 2010

McCloud

No fast food, no motel chains, no dollar stores!  McCloud is a little town in the shadow of Mt. Shasta made up of a residential area of sweet little cottages and a downtown of old hotels, logger baron mansions, and working men boarding houses that are now all Bed and Breakfasts.

IMG_0916

Butterfly bush is all over town, it would be fun to be there in butterfly season!

IMG_0921 

We stayed in the funky Stoney Brook Inn,  an old boarding house.  Our tiny room with two twin beds reminded me of rooms my sister and I shared many years ago!

IMG_0963

The porch was designed with  a built in gazebo.

IMG_0929

And lots of gingerbread.

IMG_0920

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Looking south on Main Street is a park bordered with cottonwood trees on three sides,  also on the west side is the railroad track.

IMG_0961

IMG_0959

I intended to call the Chamber of Commerce to ask about the history of this giant fly wheel. 

IMG_0937

This might be the titled the “Last Logger’ and is one of several examples of ‘found art’ around town.

IMG_0944

Pretty vintage rose.

IMG_0926

Here’s the Dance Hall.  It’s a big building, wish I could have seen inside.

IMG_0969

IMG_0968

Look closely at the diamond window to see Santa peaking out!

IMG_0941

After a lovely warm latte we hit Highway 5 south for home.  P turned west at Williams and I pulled in the driveway close to 4 pm.  What a fun trip.  I can’t wait to go back to way northern California next summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy!