Thursday, October 7, 2010

Apple Hill

We love to visit our local apple ranches….Cover’s, Sierra Glen, and the Red Apple….on a quiet fall afternoon for cider and apple donuts.  Wow!  That is NOT Apple Hill near Placerville.  I had no idea we would be there two days and still not see everything!

It all started years ago when 16 apple farms banded together to form the Apple Hills Growers Association.  Today there are more than 50 ranches participating.  They are along the twisty foothill back roads between Placerville, Camino, and Pollock Pines with big signs that correspond to the (necessary) Apple Hill map.

IMG_1111

The orchards are beautiful!  It is early in the season so many varieties still have apples on the trees.

IMG_1095

There are tons of apples for sale in the ‘barns’.  (But no Granny Smiths for a week to ten days).

IMG_1140

My friend R has visited Apple Hill many times so knew all the best stops.  And first on her list was Rainbow Orchard for apple donuts.

IMG_1046

All the ranches are really creative in their displays.  Here they are using old ladders for rose arbors.  This is a gorgeous 5 petal yellow rose,  but only a couple blossoms.

IMG_1047

One thing I love besides the apples are the barns.  Every ranch has at least one big barn, most many decades old.  Too bad most of the apple processing equipment is not open to the public.  But often an apple peeler, cider press, or bakery is visible through big windows. 

IMG_1053

These dried pears are so good.  I wish I had brought home more than one bag!

IMG_1070

The Larsen ranch has a museum in a ‘new’ barn. 

IMG_1057

I love the ‘royal blue’ color of this Royal Windsor cook stove.

IMG_1059

Denver Dan’s apple shop is in an old quasant  hut.

IMG_1077

Somehow I missed having an apple dumpling.  (What is that kid’s story about swampy animals that like apple dumplings? Uncle somebody?).

IMG_1080

Needles to say you see apples doing crazy things all over Apple Hill.

IMG_1081

Pigs Ears were another new to me treat.  Pie crust with lots of sugar and cinnamon!

IMG_1092

Each ranch has a sign with their number from the Apple Hill map. 

IMG_1114

I never did see the dolls and there were actually very few apples at this ranch,  but the flowers are amazing!

IMG_1115

IMG_1120

I liked the ‘layers’ on the hills….flowers, apples trees, and finally pine trees.

IMG_1223

“Want an apple lady?”   I’m curious how many apples she peels in the course of a week-end!

IMG_1127

Some of the ranches have fantastic vegetables for sale.  Boa Vista is one that is open all year round. 

IMG_1136

White pumpkins.

IMG_1172

The majority of Kids Inc. employees are high school students earning money for college. 

IMG_1197

Carmel apples with gummy worms?!?

IMG_1204

Most peaches are gone by now,  these September Suns are absolutely fabulous.

IMG_1181

Oh, by the way, here is a bit of trivia I learned, apple cider and apple juice are exactly the SAME thing. 

IMG_1151

So we visited Apple Hill  early in the season,  I’m thinking a trip back might be on the calendar, after all it’s only a short  1 1/2 hour drive……

2 comments:

  1. Those pictures are making me hungry!! Very nice shots! I love old barns, apples & cider :)


    -Mike
    97 Roadtrek 170P "Taj Ma Trek"
    HTTP://WWW.VanTramps.Com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are having w-a-y too much fun going to interesting places in the crisp fall air. I think I am missing the mountains!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy!