Monday, July 5, 2010

Angel of Goliad Trail

Did I mention that Goliad is my new favorite Texas State Park? Besides the lovely campground, the river, the mission and public pool across the road, there is a trail that runs through.  I was enjoying the cool(er) air and noticing many people walking up and down along what looked like the side of the highway.  But no,  it was the Angel of Goliad Trail that connects downtown Goliad with the Presidio.  The section from the park to downtown runs along the river and much of it is a wooden walkway.

25walkway

The wall of the river canyon is steep and so heavily wooded that I only got a few glimpses of the river.

24sanantonioriver

An old railroad bridge stands over the river but is not connected to the bank on either side!  I was trying to get a good look at it, but couldn’t from this side.

26bridge

The sun was just going down by the time I arrived downtown.  It’s maybe a mile from the park. Typical of most small Texas towns it was very quiet AND the requisite Courthouse was standing guard over the square.

27downtown

28courthouse

The next morning I walked the section of trail from the park south to the Presidio.   There’s  much history in Goliad that includes a connection to the Alamo.  I will be looking forward to spending more time there next winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy!