Sunday, May 23, 2010

Inks Lake State Park

Inks Lake is the most popular of the very extensive Texas State Park system. Lucky that I didn't know that when I arrived (after my Longhorn Cavern adventure) at 5 pm with no reservation. Yes, they did have plenty of room, but sorry the new computer system was down. After waiting for 45 minutes with another couple in a 5th wheel I suggested we come back in the morning to register.

My campsite on the water and the gorgeous sunset more than made up for the aggravation of registering.

There wasn't much sunshine, mostly clouds, some thunder and lightening, and a few sprinkles.

The park store rents kayaks (yay!), but sorry, it's closed for inventory with the new computer system. Rats! By noon when it opened, the storm had everyone off the lake.

It's a huge campground, on the order of Pinecrest, with more than 300 sites. I walked all the loops to get acquainted with the lay out. So many years working with the Forest Service have left me always interested in the infra structure and how the systems work.

This cool vine lives in an oak behind my campsite.



There's also an extensive trail system that I wasn't interested in hiking this time. Too hot and dry. I will be looking forward to some lovely hikes here next spring. Lots of wildflowers and pink granite.

4 comments:

  1. Greetings! See, you can't get rid of me,either! ;) What a great campsite,.. those vines are fascinating. Bringing Amelia the camper home tonight and this weekend will be her shakedown right in the back yard. First road trip is a week away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cedar...your yard sounds like the perfect campsite for Memorial Day week-end. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great pictures! Nice RT too :) I believe I am going to thoroughly enjoy following your blog!

    -Mike
    97 Roadtrek 170P "Taj Ma Trek"
    HTTP://WWW.VanTramps.Com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed those great pics you posted. Makes me want to head back to Inks Lake. It's one of our favorite spots in TX. The sunsets are out of this world.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Nellie
    http://midlifecruiser.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy!